Should you wish to join EAJS, please complete the application form.
Membership of the Association is open to all with an active scholarly interest in Jewish studies. The Association is a voluntary academic body and registered charity. Applications for membership should be supported by two referees in the field of Jewish studies familiar with your work. (For students unable to name two referees, one will be sufficient.) We do not require that references be submitted at the time of application. If we require further information we will contact the applicant within 31 days.
Full membership is open to scholars resident in Europe, associate membership is open to those not resident in Europe, and student membership is open to those engaged as graduate students in Jewish studies at a European university. Full and Associate members pay £35.00 p.a. and Student membership is free. Student members are required to confirm in writing by 15 February of each year to the Secretariat the continuation of their student status and their interest in retaining membership of the Association. Institutions cannot become members.
Please note that our membership year runs from 1 January to 31 December. Payments during a membership year will be assigned to that membership year unless the member is in arrears for previous years. For members that are in arrears for more than 2 years, a payment for the current membership year and the previous membership year (i.e. a payment for 2 years of membership) will be considered sufficient to clear all prior arrears and return the membership to good standing. New members who apply to join on or after 1 July of a membership year will pay their annual subscription upon joining, but it will be credited to the following year with the current year being waived.
Membership entitles you to:
- The opportunity to organise and attend EAJS colloquia. Formerly these were held annually in Oxford, but from 2015/16 these colloquia will be organised under the auspices of the EAJS Conference Grant Programme. Each year the EAJS invites submissions of event proposals each academic year in the framework of two separate programmes:
- The EAJS Programme in European Jewish Studies, funded by the Stiftung “Erinnerung, Verantwortung und Zukunft” (Berlin).
- The EAJS Conference Grant Programme in European Jewish Studies.
Both programmes have the same purpose: to foster cooperation among scholars involved in Jewish Studies across Europe, and to support early career researchers in this field to develop a professional network.
Awards are made for several types of event: EAJS Roundtables and EAJS Laboratories in the first case, and EAJS Conferences and EAJS Summer Schools in the second case.
The colloquium organisers will be responsible for inviting participants and issuing a call for papers, arranging the venue and accommodation, setting up and running the academic programme, and supervising all academic aspects of the colloquium.
- A reduced rate annual subscription to the online version of the European Journal of Jewish Studies, published by E.J. Brill (currently EUR 15 / US$ 20 per year). Full and associate members must be completely up to date with their payment of fees in order to retain access to the Journal at the reduced rate.
- Free access to the EAJS Online Directory of Jewish Studies in Europe, which provides information about institutions and departments, scholars and libraries engaging in Jewish Studies in Europe at a higher education level. The Online Directory is the successor to the hard-copy Directory of Jewish Studies in Europe published by the EAJS in 1998.
- Free access to the EAJS Funders Databasefor expert tailored information about funding sources in Jewish Studies.
- The monthly EAJS “Newsflash”with details of current jobs, conference announcements and other news downloaded into your inbox.
- Conference fees at members’ rates at EAJS congresses.
- Special membership rates at the AJS for Full and Student members of the EAJS (currently $55.00 and $35.00 per year respectively). For more information, click here.
AJS and EAJS: Programme of Cooperation in Jewish Studies
The Association for Jewish Studies and European Association for Jewish Studies are pleased to announce a new partnership. In the interest of promoting collaboration among scholars based at North American and European universities, the AJS will be offering special membership rates for Full and Student EAJS members: $55 for Full EAJS Members and $35 for Student EAJS Members. These special rates give EAJS members the full roster of AJS benefits, including digital subscriptions to all AJS publications AJS Review, AJS Perspectives, and AJS News. In addition, AJS and EAJS plan to organize joint academic events, including co-sponsored sessions at each others’ conferences, and share online resources. We hope this new venture will broaden audiences for scholars of Jewish Studies and lead to collaborative research projects.
Full or Student EAJS members interested in taking out an AJS membership should email AJS Membership & Database Manager, Michelle Katz, at email@example.com or +1.917.606.8249 with any questions.
EAJS members should be aware that this co-operative membership of the AJS is only available to Full or Student members of the EAJS whose whose annual membership subscriptions are fully paid to date.
AJS members may become Associate members of the EAJS at the reduced rate of £25.00. Details may be obtained from the EAJS administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.