Leo Baeck Fellowship Programme
BMBF – Studienstiftung – Leo Baeck Institute London
Aim of the Programme
The international Leo Baeck Fellowship Programme awards fellowships to doctoral students who carry out research into the history and culture of Central European Jewry. We welcome projects on any period or field (including literature, philosophy, history, musicology), and any region (such as Europe, Israel, the Americas), as long as they relate to German-speaking Jewry. In addition to financial support for one year, the programme provides opportunities to exchange ideas with peers from around the world. It is open to doctoral candidates of any nationality, studying at any university. All fellows remain at their home institution, but come together for two workshops in the course of the fellowship, which are jointly organised by the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes and the Leo Baeck Institute London.
- University degree(s) with outstanding marks
- Date of latest degree not before February 2016
- Formal qualification for doctoral studies / acceptance on a doctoral programme at a recognised university
- Research project focussing on the history and culture of Central European Jewry
Up to twelve fellows will be selected for the programme in the academic year 2020/21. The fellowships run from October 2020 to September 2021. Regular workshops and an intranet platform provide support for scholarship holders and enable them to present their research and discuss methodologies and findings with other fellows. Working languages are German and English. After the first year, students enrolled at a university in Germany may apply for an extension of their scholarship within the framework of the Studienstiftung’s doctoral programme, subject to available funds.
Fellows receive a stipend of 1,350 € a month. In addition a monthly research allowance of 100 € is available. Fellows can also apply for supplements for health insurance (max. 100 €/month) and childcare, as well as travel allowances to support research trips and participation at conferences abroad. Contributions to tuition fees outside Germany may also be granted (max. 10,000 €). All funding is provided in accordance with the general regulations issued by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF).
Candidates are invited to submit the following documents in English or German:
- Application form (download from the website: www.studienstiftung.de)
- Cover letter outlining the motivation for participation in the programme (1 page)
- Curriculum vitae with details on education, general interests and language skills
- Photocopy of university degree(s), including marks/grading
- Research proposal (5 pages)
- Research schedule for the academic year 2020/21, including planned research trips
- Letter of recommendation by the supervisor of the PhD project
- Second letter of recommendation
The deadline for application is the 1st February 2020.
We accept applications by e-mail (as a single pdf document please, the letters of recommendation may be submitted separately) or conventional mail. Only complete application sets will be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview in Frankfurt in May 2020.
For more information, please see the website of the Studienstiftung (https://www.studienstiftung.de/en/leo-baeck/) or the website of the Leo Baeck Institute London (http://www.leobaeck.co.uk/leo-baeck-fellowship-programme). A German version of the announcement can be found here: https://www.studienstiftung.de/leo-baeck/
Dr Peter Antes
Telephone +49 228 82096-286
Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
Telephone +49 228 82096-285