The Center for Jewish Studies at the University of Graz announces the Kurt-David-Brühl Guest Professorship for Jewish Studies
Summer Semester 2022 (01.03.2022-30.06.2022)
The Kurt-David-Brühl Guest Professorship for Jewish Studies – which is advertised every second semester – was initiated in the academic year 2001/02 with the purpose of teaching the foundations of Jewish History and Culture and approaching specific topics in specialized courses. The courses taught by the Kurt-David-Brühl Guest Professor are integral part of the Joint Master’s Programme “Jewish Studies – History of Jewish Cultures” and also feed into other curricula of the School of Humanities at the University of Graz. The purpose of the guest professorship is to expand the number of courses offered in the field of Jewish Studies at the University of Graz. The teaching load is 6 hours per week, two of which are to be taught as a specialized lecture and four are to be taught as seminars.
The Kurt-David-Brühl Guest Professorship for Jewish Studies is a position in the field of cultural studies and is thus open for applicants from a broad range of scholarly disciplines. A thematic focus is put on Jewish and non-Jewish, Jewish and Christian or Muslim relations/interactions during the 19th and 21st century.
The guest professor would be expected to be present in Graz during the semester.
- Austrian or equivalent foreign higher education degree corresponding with the position
- Excellent qualifications in teaching and research in a relevant academic field
- Pedagogical and didactic skills
- Subject-specific experience abroad
- Sample syllabi of the planned courses should be submitted. This should include information about content, methode and objectives of each prepared course (max. 400 words per lecture)
- Gender mainstreaming competence
- Applicants will have demonstrated excellence in scholarship and teaching in any area of Jewish Studies
- Interest in further collaborations with CJS
Application Deadline: June 9th 2021
Reference Number: GP/1/99 ex 2020/21
Salary scheme of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Staff (Universitäten-KV): I
A salary in excess of the minimum salary as stated in the collective agreement will be offered in the amount of EUR 3.612,86 gross/total for the duration of employment.
The University of Graz is striving to increase the number of women, particularly in executive positions, and thus explicitly encourages qualified women to apply. In case of equal qualifications, women will receive priority consideration.
If you are interested, please submit your application documents within the deadline. Your application documents should include the reference number of the position and be sent to:
For further information please contact Mr. Gerald Lamprecht at +43 (0) 316 / 380 -8073.