Department of Historical and Cultural Studies, Institute for Jewish Studies, Free University of Berlin
Research assistant (postdoc) (m/f/d)
Full-time, limited to 31.03.2025 (end of project)
Salary level 13 TV-L FU
Reference code: WiMi/2024/Jud/01
Deadline for applications: 26.02.2024
The Department of Historical and Cultural Studies at Freie Universität Berlin invites applications for a postdoctoral research position in Jewish Studies within the framework of Emmy Noether Junior Research Group “Patterns of Knowledge Circulation: The Transmission and Reception of Jewish Esoteric Knowledge in Early Modern East-Central Europe,” founded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) (http://gepris.dfg.de/gepris/projekt/401023278).
The project develops a systematic digital catalogue in the context of a comprehensive analysis of Jewish esoteric texts from East-Central Europe between 1500 and 1750.
The project is currently looking for a qualified candidate with expertise in (old) Yiddish and Jewish history/thought. The area of responsibility includes participation in the research project mentioned above, in the form of support and coordination tasks.
The work of postdoctoral researcher includes the following duties:
- Translation and editing of select primary sources in Yiddish (handwritten texts of early modern East-Central European provenance pertinent to the project theme), under the supervision of the team leader
- Research contribution to the project database
- Joint preparation of an international workshop
- Contribution to the project’s website and public engagement work for the project.
PhD in Jewish studies or a relevant field
- Excellent command of English (B2/C1) and (Old) Yiddish
- Experience of working with manuscript and archival material
- Ability to work well both collaboratively and independently
- High motivation and excellent organisation skills
For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit all the application documents (a letter of motivation, including a short statement of how the candidate meets the requirements and the desirable criteria; curriculum vitae) to Dr Agata Paluch (email@example.com), quoting reference code WiMi/2024/Jud/01, preferably as one pdf file.
One of recommendation should be submitted directly by a referee by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
Freie Universität Berlin, Fachbereich Geschichts- und Kulturwissenschaften, Institut für Judaistik, Dr Agata Paluch, Fabeckstr. 23-25, 14195 Berlin (Dahlem)