‘SEFER’ CENTER INTERNATIONAL GRANT FOR THE RESEARCH ON HISTORY AND CULTURE OF RUSSIAN JEWRY IN DIFFERENT HISTORICAL PERIODS
SEFER Center awards grants to support research projects in multiple disciplines on Russian Jewry. The subject of the research may comprise different aspects of Jewish history and culture within the territory of former Russian Empire during various historical periods from the ancient times till post-soviet contemporary period. The grant covers the entire variety of humanitarian and social areas (history, literature, linguistics, art history, education, philosophy, religion studies, sociology, political science etc.), as well as interdisciplinary studies. The Center provides researchers, teachers and PhD students with financial support for implementation of academic researches, preparation of monographs, articles and dissertation theses. The grant program is intended for researches from Russia and abroad, including Europe, USA and Canada, Israel and Australia.This project has been made possible with the support of Genesis Philanthropy Group.
- appropriateness of the project proposal to eligibility and requirements of the grant
- originality and creativity of the research proposal
- independent experts’ reviews about the scientific value of the submitted project
The SEFER Center research award recipients will be selected by a committee of independent experts specialising in the field of Russian and Eastern European Jews from Russia, Israel and the United States.
Eligibility and Requirements
Two types of research grants are open for applications:
а) Faculty Research Grants for the researchers with academic degree will not exceed 150,000 rubles (will be converted in US $) and will cover up to 50% of the total cost of the proposed research project.
b) Post-Graduate Students Research Grants for the PhD students and researchers without academic degree will not exceed 90,000 rubles (will be converted in US $) and may cover up to 100% of the total project cost.
The competition is open for researchers from Russia and abroad, including Europe, USA and Canada, Israel and Australia.
The grants cover following expenditure:
- Work at Russian and foreign archives and libraries to collect materials needed for the study (compensation of consular fees, travel and accommodation expenses, photocopy, as well as payments to invited experts, which cannot exceed 25% of the grant).
- Participation in international meetings and conferences on the chosen subject (compensation of travel and accommodation expenses and conference registration fees).
- Other events or activities, connected with the study.
Deadline and Proposal Submission Guidelines
Proposals must be submitted by 31 Marсh 2020. Proposals submitted after the deadline will not be reviewed.
Decisions will be announced by 15 May 2020.
Each proposal must include the following:
- Complete proposal form (download below)
- Curriculum Vitae (up to 3 pages including main publications on the subject)
- Short writing sample (full text of one of the latest publications on the subject-up to 20 pages). PhD students may provide an essay.
- Two recommendation letters addressed directly to the Center (for PhD students and researchers without academic degree)
Details and application form are available on our website https://www.sefer.ru/eng/education/educational_programmes/eshnav/russian_jewry.php