Call for Applications: 2023 Oxford Summer Institute on Modern & Contemporary Judaism – Oxford Centre for Hebrew & Jewish Studies
We are pleased to announce our call for applications for the 2023 Oxford Summer Institute on Modern & Contemporary Judaism (OSI). This year’s theme will be ‘Authority and Leadership in Modern and Contemporary Judaism’. The deadline to apply is 15 January 2023. For more information and to apply, please consult both of the following documents: Read more
- What are the differences and points of connection between the categories of authority and leadership in Jewish culture and thought?
- In what ways are these helpful frames for considering the relationship between Jewish ideas and Jewish communal life, and in what ways might they require theoretical interrogation?
- How do new ideas or modes of discourse become authoritative, and in what ways does that support new modes of Jewish leadership?
- Are there forms of authority that are separate from communal leadership? And are there forms of leadership that make no particular claims to authority?
- How have claims to authority and leadership in Jewish communities changed during the 20th and 21st centuries?
- In what ways do novel forms of leadership or assertions of authority in the contemporary period make recourse to pre-modern sources or practices?
- How do these categories function in Jewish spaces that are outside of the traditional models of Jewish communities?
- How do modern and contemporary Jews grapple with issues of tradition and innovation in terms of authority and leadership?
- A completed application form
- A resume and list of publications
- A detailed cover letter describing your current position, academic background, current research projects, what you plan to present at the Institute, and how you would benefit from participating
- An abstract (250-500 words) of your proposed paper
- The names of two academic references