Call for Papers : Demonology
Interest in ancient Jewish and Christian beliefs about demons has grown significantly in recent decades. Particular consideration has been given to the influence of other cultures (e.g. Zoroastrian traditions), the transmission of traditions across time and between communities (e.g. the myth of rebellious angels), and to the origins of demons and methods for dealing with them (e.g. exorcism rituals, magic, etc.). Less attention has been paid to the nature and characteristics of demonic beings (broadly conceived).
Dr Hector M Patmore and Prof. Josef Lössl (Cardiff University) therefore invite proposals for papers that consider this theme in Jewish and / or Christian sources from the Biblical period to Late Antiquity. Papers may have any relevant focus, including:
- The ontology of demonic beings.
- The place of demonic beings in spiritual hierarchies.
- The role of gender in the depiction of demonic beings.
- The connection between demons and particular locations.
- The personification / hypostasizing of abstract concepts.
Papers exploring cultural exchange between Jews and Christians would be particularly welcome.
Selected papers will be published in an edited volume. To support the development of ideas and coherence of the volume, dedicated programme units are planned for the following conferences:
- SBL Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA (Nov 23-26th, 2019)
- EABS Annual Conference, Warsaw, Poland (Aug 11-14th, 2019).
- International Conference on Patristic Studies, Oxford (Aug 19-24th, 2019).
It is expected that successful applicants will present their papers at one of these. Some financial assistance is available. This research collaboration will contribute to the AHRC funded project, ‘Demonic Exegesis’ (Reference: AH/P005969/1).
To apply send a title, abstract (max. 300 words), and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 31st Dec 2018. PhD students are encouraged to apply. Their application should include a letter of recommendation from their supervisor. The deadline for completed papers for publication will be 31st Dec 2019.