28th Summer Academy of the Institute for Jewish History in Austria in cooperation with the Centre for Jewish Studies/University of Graz and Wiener Vorlesungen
Verwischte Grenzen. Jüdische Identitäten in Zentraleuropa nach 1918
(Blurred Borders. Jewish Identities in Central Europe after 1918)
July 4th-6th, 2018, Volkskundemuseum Vienna
Call for Papers
The 28th Summer Academy focuses on different aspects of the breach in 1918 and its impact on the Jewish population. It will focus on Central Europe, understood as the former territory of the Habsburg monarchy with its northern and eastern neighbours.
The Call for Paper is directed to historians, representatives of the Jewish studies as well as cultural scientists. The proposals should include particular aspects of the following topics:
- The Shape of the political and legal self-awareness and outside-perception in the different successor states.
- The Questions of citizenship and stateless status in the different successor states including discussions about inclusion and exclusion.
- What impact had the system discontinuity on the Jewish communities? Questions on identity and ideological formation between liberal, orthodox and Zionist groups. Were there any changes in community structures, e.g. democratisation?
- What was the role of Jewish communities and/or Jewish individuals during the revolutionary transformation?
- Consequences of the breach following 1918 in conjunction with the political and economic crisis for Jewish every-day life.
- What impact had the Munich and Hungarian “Räterepublik” on Jews? Concerning those political changes, in which roles were Jews participating?
- Development of antisemitism, reactions and defensive measures.
Conference language: German, English
Further information (in German): http://www.injoest.ac.at/de/aktuelles/cfp-sommerakademie-2018/cfp-sommerakademie-2018.html
For further questions please contact: Dr. Sabine Hödl (email@example.com)
Please send an abstract (max. 500 words) and CV (max. 300 words) by 20 December 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Decisions will be communicated by 31 January 2018.